Some plants are skin irritants, or toxic when ingested, for humans and/or other animals. Be sure to thoroughly research the plants in your yard, or the plants you keep in your house. Some plants, when ingested, can cause stomach upset, or even death; physical contact can cause mild to serious reactions on the skin.
Wear gloves while gardening! Gloves and long sleeves can protect from the sun, insects, thorns, and plants that can cause irritating reactions to the skin!
NEVER EAT A PLANT WITHOUT FIRST PROPERLY IDENTIFYING IT!
FOR POISONING, EMERGENCIES, OR QUESTIONS, CALL:
1 (800) 222-1222
Florida Poison Control Website Page on Plants
Find out the names of your house and yard plants. Call the Poison Center toll-free at 1 (800) 222-1222 to see if your plants are toxic.
If the plant is ingested, remove all plant pieces from mouth. Rinse mouth and lips with cool water. Offer sips of cool water to drink. If your skin comes in contact with these plants, wash your hands with soap and water. Call the Poison Center immediately.